Mathews waiting for Sri Lankan selectors’ nod to replace Jayawardene as ‘captain’
Sydney: Sri Lankan all-rounder Angelo Mathews has claimed is ready to become the captain of the national team, and added he just needs the nod from the selectors. With captain Mahela Jayawardene`s future unsure, 25-year old Mathews is a decade younger than the skipper and is already the team`s vice-captain.
“That``s totally up to the selectors - if they think that I``m ready, I`m ready,” News.com.au quoted Mathews, as saying ahead of the first Test against Australia in Hobart, starting tomorrow. “Mahela has been a great captain for years, been serving the country for more than a decade.” There`s a lot, as youngsters, we can learn from Mahela. If the selectors think that I`m ready, it is up to them,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port