Mathews waiting for Sri Lankan selectors’ nod to replace Jayawardene as ‘captain’
Sydney: Sri Lankan all-rounder Angelo Mathews has claimed is ready to become the captain of the national team, and added he just needs the nod from the selectors. With captain Mahela Jayawardene`s future unsure, 25-year old Mathews is a decade younger than the skipper and is already the team`s vice-captain.
“That``s totally up to the selectors - if they think that I``m ready, I`m ready,” News.com.au quoted Mathews, as saying ahead of the first Test against Australia in Hobart, starting tomorrow. “Mahela has been a great captain for years, been serving the country for more than a decade.” There`s a lot, as youngsters, we can learn from Mahela. If the selectors think that I`m ready, it is up to them,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand