Mathews waiting for Sri Lankan selectors’ nod to replace Jayawardene as ‘captain’
Sydney: Sri Lankan all-rounder Angelo Mathews has claimed is ready to become the captain of the national team, and added he just needs the nod from the selectors. With captain Mahela Jayawardene`s future unsure, 25-year old Mathews is a decade younger than the skipper and is already the team`s vice-captain.
“That``s totally up to the selectors - if they think that I``m ready, I`m ready,” News.com.au quoted Mathews, as saying ahead of the first Test against Australia in Hobart, starting tomorrow. “Mahela has been a great captain for years, been serving the country for more than a decade.” There`s a lot, as youngsters, we can learn from Mahela. If the selectors think that I`m ready, it is up to them,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note