Mumbai win Cooch Behar title for seventh time
Mumbai: Mumbai expectedly clinched the Cooch Behar Trophy under 19 title for the seventh time after their final encounter against Maharashtra ended in a tame draw on the fourth and final day at the Wankhede Stadium.
Mumbai ended up with the title by virtue of having taken a narrow, but all-important, 23-run first-innings lead over the visitors before they put the issue beyond Maharashtra by batting soundly in the second essay.
The home team were all out for 439 in 182 overs well into the last day today, having commenced their second essay on day two after bowling out the visitors for 150 in reply to their own first innings score of 173.
In all, the Mumbai batsmen occupied the crease for almost 12 hours in the second effort to seal the lid on Maharashtra`s hopes of making a comeback after conceding the vital first innings lead.
Seven down for 300 yesterday, the Mumbai tail wagged vigorously with overnight not out batsman Atif Attarwala making 47 in 108 balls, No 9 Pratik Prabhu scoring 44 off 171 balls and captain Harmeet Singh making 65 with ten fours and a six in 96 balls.
Chasing an improbable target of 463, two-time winners Maharashtra made 179 for three in 26 overs before play ended.
Brief scores: Mumbai 173 and 439 (Jaideep Pardeshi 125, Akarshit Gomel 53, Mairaj Khan 40, Atif Attarwala 47, Pratik Prabhu 44, Harmeet Singh 65; Vishal Gite 2 for 85, Satyajit Bachhav 3 for 77, Chirag Khurana 4 for 103). Maharashtra 150 and 179 for 3 (Vijay Zol 57, Shubham Ranjane not out 76, Abhijit Salvi not out 20; Akhil Herwadkar 2 for 32).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video