Nepal take WCL title, Bermuda finish on losing note
Hamilton (Bermuda): Half-centuries by Pradeep Airee and Sharad Vesawkar helped Nepal beat Uganda by five wickets to secure the 50-overs ICC World Cricket League (WCL) Division 3 title at the National Sports Centre.
In other play-off games, the United States beat Bermuda by 30 runs at St. David`s to clinch third place, leaving the hosts fourth ahead of Oman, who beat winless Italy by five wickets Sunday, reports CMC.
Nepal`s triumph was remarkable after they lost their opening two matches of the tournament. Nepal and Uganda were promoted to Division 2 and also advanced to the next World Cup qualifiers in New Zealand next year.
Oman and Italy were relegated to Division 4.
Nepal and Uganda will compete in New Zealand with eight other leading Associate and Affiliate countries for the final two positions in the 2015 World Cup.
Uganda captain Davis Arinaitwe was named player of the tournament. The 26-year-old took 10 wickets during the tournament, and twice received the award for Man of the Match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren