New Pakistan coach to be named on short-term basis: Sethi
Karachi: The acting Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, Najam Sethi has informed the members of the interim management committee (IMC) that a new coach would only be appointed on a short-term basis after the conclusion of the series against Sri Lanka in the UAE.
A reliable source told PTI that at the recent meeting of the interim committee the issue of appointing a new coach after the exit of Australian Dav Whatmore cropped up and was than discussed in detail.
"Former test captain, Zaheer Abbas raised this issue as Whatmore is due to leave after the Sri Lanka series in February," the source said.
The Interim management committee got an extension of 90 days from the Prime Minister last week.
The IMC, which includes former Chairman of the board, Shaharyar Khan, Zaheer Abbas, test player, Haroon Rasheed and former manager of the Pakistan team, Naved Cheema, has been tasked by the Prime Minister to run Pakistan cricket affairs until fresh elections are held.
Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif three months back superseded the board constitution to appoint the IMC to run cricket affairs.
"Sethi told the IMC members that due to the legal issues in the Islamabad High Court and shortage of time before the Asia Cup and World T20 Cup in Bangladesh the board would appoint a coach on short term basis," the source said.
"Sethi didn`t name the candidate he had in mind for this temporary position but made it clear it would be a Pakistani," the source added.
Other members of the IMC advised Sethi to carefully vet possible candidates before recommending any names as the coaching position was an important one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’