New Pakistan coach to be named on short-term basis: Sethi
Karachi: The acting Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, Najam Sethi has informed the members of the interim management committee (IMC) that a new coach would only be appointed on a short-term basis after the conclusion of the series against Sri Lanka in the UAE.
A reliable source told PTI that at the recent meeting of the interim committee the issue of appointing a new coach after the exit of Australian Dav Whatmore cropped up and was than discussed in detail.
"Former test captain, Zaheer Abbas raised this issue as Whatmore is due to leave after the Sri Lanka series in February," the source said.
The Interim management committee got an extension of 90 days from the Prime Minister last week.
The IMC, which includes former Chairman of the board, Shaharyar Khan, Zaheer Abbas, test player, Haroon Rasheed and former manager of the Pakistan team, Naved Cheema, has been tasked by the Prime Minister to run Pakistan cricket affairs until fresh elections are held.
Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif three months back superseded the board constitution to appoint the IMC to run cricket affairs.
"Sethi told the IMC members that due to the legal issues in the Islamabad High Court and shortage of time before the Asia Cup and World T20 Cup in Bangladesh the board would appoint a coach on short term basis," the source said.
"Sethi didn`t name the candidate he had in mind for this temporary position but made it clear it would be a Pakistani," the source added.
Other members of the IMC advised Sethi to carefully vet possible candidates before recommending any names as the coaching position was an important one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'