New Zealand`s Vettori has Achilles surgery
London: New Zealand spinner Daniel Vettori has had an operation on his left Achilles tendon in a bid to prolong his career, team management in England announced in a statement on thursday.
The 34-year-old left-armer returned from nearly a year out of international action to play in all three of New Zealand`s Champions Trophy group matches before the Black Caps bowed out ahead of the knockout stages.
But the former New Zealand captain often looked in pain while fielding and batted just the once.
"Dan has been suffering from this injury for the past year and surgery was the only option to prolong his career with the Black Caps," said New Zealand physiotherapist Paul Close in a statement.
Close added that Vettori`s operation in London on Wednesday had gone well.
Injuries also sidelined all-rounder Grant Elliott and seamer Tim Southee from next week`s two Twenty20 matches against England at The Oval, while batsman Kane Williamson and wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi have also left the squad.
Test opener Hamish Rutherford and fellow batsman Tom Latham will join the squad for the Twenty20 games, along with spinner Roneel Hira.
New Zealand, beaten 2-0 by England in a Test series this season but 2-1 winners in a subsequent one-day international campaign, will prepare for the Twenty20 fixtures with a warm-up game against Kent in Canterbury on Saturday.
New Zealand squad for two T20 internationals against England at The Oval on June 25 and 27:
Brendon McCullum (Otago Volts, capt/wkt), Corey Anderson (Northern Knights), Doug Bracewell (Central Stags), Ian Butler (Otago Volts), James Franklin (Wellington Firebirds), Martin Guptill (Auckland Aces), Roneel Hira (Canterbury Wizards), Tom Latham (Canterbury Wizards), Mitchell McClenaghan (Auckland Aces), Nathan McCullum (Otago Volts), Kyle Mills (Auckland Aces), Colin Munro (Auckland Aces), Hamish Rutherford (Otago Volts), Ross Taylor (Central Stags).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire