Newcomer Ben Stokes brushes aside comparisons with Flintoff
London: England newcomer Ben Stokes has brushed aside comparisons with former captain Andrew Flintoff, saying he does not want to base himself on anyone else.
The 20-year-old made his One-day International debut against Ireland in last week`s low-key encounter in Dublin. The left-hander is a big striker of the ball, besides being a medium-pacer with potential to get quicker, leading many to tip him as the new Flintoff, the best all rounder England had in the recent times.
Stokes, who has been included in the England squad for Wednesday`s one-off Twenty20 International and the subsequent five ODIs against India, however, is not willing to be drawn into comparisons.
"I am my own person, I don`t want to base myself on someone else," the Durham youngster was quoted as saying in a daily.
"I guess we are the same - we bat and we bowl - but I don`t want to base myself on anyone else."
A product of the impressive Durham Academy, Stokes shone in his first full season of county cricket last year and has continued to make an impression in 2011.
A finger injury, however, will restrict him to play against India as a specialist batsman only.
"I had a bad break in my finger and a dislocation," he said. "I had two operations on it and was out for eight or nine weeks.
"It was pretty frustrating, especially given how well I thought I was playing before I did it.
"I am not 100 per cent fit to bowl yet but I will keep on getting treatment. Hopefully as time goes by it will get easier."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'