P Jayawardena, Welagedara upgraded in central contracts
Colombo: Wicketkeeper-batsman Prasanna Jayawardene and left-arm fast bowler Chanaka Welagedara have been upgraded in the central contract categories, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said on Friday.
Jayawardene has been promoted to category 2 from 3, while Welagedara is promoted to 4 from 5.
The chairman of selectors, Asantha de Mel was consulted before the promotions were made, the SLC said.
In the categories released earlier this month, Jayawardena was the sole entry in category 3, which had triggered media criticism.
The media criticised the SLC`s non recognition of the wicketkeeper-batsman`s consistent solid performances both behind the wicket and with the bat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report