P Jayawardena, Welagedara upgraded in central contracts
Colombo: Wicketkeeper-batsman Prasanna Jayawardene and left-arm fast bowler Chanaka Welagedara have been upgraded in the central contract categories, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said on Friday.
Jayawardene has been promoted to category 2 from 3, while Welagedara is promoted to 4 from 5.
The chairman of selectors, Asantha de Mel was consulted before the promotions were made, the SLC said.
In the categories released earlier this month, Jayawardena was the sole entry in category 3, which had triggered media criticism.
The media criticised the SLC`s non recognition of the wicketkeeper-batsman`s consistent solid performances both behind the wicket and with the bat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon