Pakistani-origin quick Moin Ashraf says would like to emulate Root by earning England call
Islamabad: Pakistani-origin fast bowler Moin Ashraf has claimed he would like to emulate Yorkshire teammate Joe Root by breaking into the England team. A Bradford-born fast-medium bowler, Moin made his first-class debut against Loughborough University in May 2010 and signed his first professional contract for Yorkshire at the end of the 2010 season.
Ashraf made an impact in the last two matches of the Championship season by taking three wickets on his debut in a win over Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge and following up with 5 for 32 against Kent at Headingley. In 2012, Moin took 17 wickets in eight Championship matches, including 4 for 36 in the first innings to help Yorkshire clinch their return to Division One with a comprehensive victory over Essex at Chelmsford in the last match of the season.
Ashraf was selected for the Potential England Performance Programme Squad for the 2011/12 winter which involved attendance of the ECB``s National Academy in Loughborough, a three-week camp in Sri Lanka and fast bowler training in India. Ashraf said he is happy for Root, as he has developed into an outstanding cricketer in such a short space of time, adding his Yorkshire teammate was tipped for success at a very early age Ashraf said Root has worked hard to get in the England team, and he would like to emulate him to get a call in the national team.
Ashraf said he started his county cricket spell an year earlier than Root but the latter`s fantastic last season meant he got a call in the England set up, and he add it indicates how quickly things can change in cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof