Perth Test: India get whacked at WACA
Vineet Ramakrishnan/Zeenews Sports
Perth: Australia inflicted another innings defeat; this time around by 37 runs on India at the WACA, Perth to clinch the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in a commanding fashion. Starting the day on 88/4, Indian batsmen, Rahul Dravid and Virat Kohli did usher in a little hope of a resistance against the Australian pace barrage but that was short lived.
The wicket of Rahul Dravid on 47, in the 18th over extinguished any such hope and after lunch, Australia proceeded with the formalities of wrapping up the tail with Ben Hilfenhaus wiping out the tail in a single over.
Virat Kohli (75), the last man dismissed, when he poked an away going delivery of Siddle to keeper Haddin, showed glimpses of his prowess and of the future of Indian cricket as well.
After Ryan Harris had broken the little partnership between Rahul Dravid and Kohli, rattling the former’s stumps, it was just a matter of time for Dhoni (2) to walk back to the pavilion in the same breath as he had walked in.
Virat Kohli, at the other end, seemed unfazed as he showed some grit to stick around for a longer time reaching his 50 in 92 balls. Virat was able to cope with the bounce and late movement from Hilfenhaus, Harris and Siddle and played some cracking shots when the opportunities came his way. He played the waiting game and this knock has in a way has vindicated his position in the playing XI after a string of failures.
For Australia, Hilfenhaus once again finished with the highest tally of wickets in the innings (4 wkts) and the match (8 wkts) as well courtesy a clinical 62nd over when he picked up three wickets in four balls.
But, it was Man of the Match David Warner’s 180 that had blown away India and later, the pace battery’s combined clinical effort had India in shreds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon