Pietersen rejects ECB managing director`s claims of `being disinterested during winter Ashes`
London: Sacked England batsman Kevin Pietersen has reportedly denied claims that he was `disinterested` during the winter Ashes series against Australia, which England lost 5-0.
Pietersen, who is England`s leading run-scorer, has released a statement in response to comments made by Paul Downton, the managing director of the England and Wales Cricket Board ( ECB).
According to the BBC, Pietersen, who was said to have a negative effect in the whitewash by Australia in the Ashes, insisted that the suggestion that he was uninterested is untrue despite the comments by Downton, who was central to ending Pietersen`s association with England in February.
Pietersen- who scored 8,181 runs at an average of 47 in 104 Tests, 4,440 runs in 136 ODIs and 1,176 runs in 37 Twenty20s- also said that he was fully motivated to play for England despite having injections in his knee, which inhibited his mobility and his ability to field close to the wicket.
Although Pietersen accepted that the winter Ashes as a whole fell `well below` his own personal standards, he however, said that he finished the series as the top scorer, adding that he still has a good relationship with most of the England players.
In regard to the criticism aimed at his `the way he play type attitude`, he reminded Downton that this method has brought him more than 13,500 runs for England, in addition to being part of four Ashes-winning teams and a World T20-winning side, all of which are achievements which he is very proud of.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA