Ponting is among the best batters I`ve seen: Cook
Kolkata: Paying glowing tributes to Ricky Ponting, England skipper Alastair Cook on Tuesday described the just-retired former Australian captain as one of the greatest batsmen.
Recalling the 2006 Ashes series, Cook said, "I can`t really sum up on what he has achieved. As a batsman alone, he`s among the best batters I`ve seen. We just could not get him out in 2006."
The just-concluded Perth Test against South Africa was Ponting`s last and the 37-year old`s retirement address was held yesterday.
"He hits the ball as cleanly as I have ever seen a cricket ball being hit. As a player of fast bowling, he had all the time in the world," Cook added.
Cook said it was a "privilege" for him to have played against the Aussie.
"He is an unbelievable competitor. I am very privileged to have played against him. I wish him all the best in his retirement," the England opener said.
On Sachin Tendulkar`s slump in form, Cook said: "Sachin is a fantastic player, and his records speak for themselves."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi