Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur
Sydney: Australian coach Mickey Arthur said Tuesday that former captain Ricky Ponting was very much in the reckoning to play in next year`s Ashes series in England.
Ponting was dropped from the One-day side after failing to impress in the Commonwealth Bank Series involving India and Sri Lanka. He had to fight hard to keep his Test spot during the Australian summer.
The Australian veteran`s future was once again brought into the limelight following a lukewarm Test tour of the Caribbean that yielded just 146 runs at 24.33.
A fighting half-century in last week`s third and final Test in Dominica was the only saving grace for the 165-Test veteran.
Australia does not play another Test until next summer`s home series against South Africa, but Arthur feels there won`t be any major changes to his side before November`s first Test in Brisbane.
That would suggest Ponting is likely to retain his place and will possibly the Ashes in England.
"I know there was a lot of media pressure around Ricky, but Ricky is not going anywhere," Arthur was quoted as saying by Daily Telegraph.
"We`re hoping that Ricky is scoring enough runs to go to the Ashes.”
"Ricky is in no way considering retirement. I wouldn`t have thought from my conversations with him."
Arthur denied Ponting, who scored a Test double century against India in January, was out of form.
"It was a difficult tour for our batters, it was tough to score (in West Indies)," Arthur said.
"Other than Wadey (wicketkeeper Matthew Wade), we didn`t have a hundred from any of our top six, but it was that kind of wicket.”
"You always say when you get to 30, you get in, but it almost became harder when you got to 30 because the ball got very soft and they went very defensive and you had to come in and play against spin, which was tough."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble