President inaugurates cricket stadium named after Benazir
Karachi: Pakistan President Asif Zardari on Wednesday inaugurated an international standard cricket stadium in memory of his late wife and former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
The stadium was inaugurated in the ancestral town of the Bhutto family in Gardhi Khuda Baskh, Larkana, a day before the fifth death anniversary of Benazir.
President Zardari inaugurated the stadium named after Benazir Bhutto after a exhibition match between the President`s eleven and the PCB Chairman`s eleven teams which featured leading present and former players of the country.
The stadium was built by Pakistan Cricket Board at a cost of over 200 million rupees with the current chairman Zaka Ashraf, who is a member of the Pakistan Peoples Party and very close to President Zardari, rushing through the final stages of construction.
The highlight of the exhibition match was the appearance of former greats Javed Miandad, Intikhab Alam in whites after a long time.
Cricket critics have raised questions over the purpose of spending so much money on building a new stadium in an interior area of the province at a time when no international team has toured Pakistan since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah