Ravi Rampaul has much to celebrate over the weekend
Chittagong: West Indies fast bowler Ravi Rampaul had much to celebrate over the weekend.
It started on Friday with the news that he had been voted Trinidad & Tobago`s International Player-of-the-Year and got better when he collected two wickets for 27 runs from 10 overs to help West Indies complete an eight-wicket victory over Bangladesh to seal a rare One-day International series victory on his 27th birthday.
"It was a great feeling to get a series win on my birthday and it feels great to do so well with the ball," said Rampaul.
"Everybody is happy with the way we are playing and the fact that we are executing our plans and getting success as individuals and as a team," he said.
"I knew it was my special day, so I wanted to celebrate with a special performance for the team. I knew it wouldn`t just happen like that, so I decided I had to go and bowl my heart out," he added.
"I planned where I would bowl and how I would attack them," he said. "The aim was to get it back-of-a-length, and use the short ball as a surprise. As a team, we knew they would come hard at us at the start of the innings, so as a bowling group, we were ready."
Rampaul bowled steadily throughout the innings, as West Indies dismissed Bangladesh for 220 in 48.5 overs before half-centuries from Marlon Samuels and Lendl Simmons marched them to their target.
"When they won the toss and batted first I said `yes`; I knew right there and then that I would get the chance to run in hard with the new ball," he said. "I started well with an early wicket and I made sure I kept things tight as well, and then Roach grabbed two so we had them pushed back."
He said: "The job was then to maintain the pressure and build blocks of dot balls. To their credit, they never gave up. They kept fighting and tried to stay in the game," he said.
Rampaul relished the occasion of a rare victory for West Indies on the road and said the team was angling for more success in the remaining matches against the Bengal Tigers.
"As a team, we are very happy to come away from home and win," he said. "In the two matches, we got two comprehensive wins and, with one match to go, we will look to take that as well and get a clean sweep in the series. After this, we will switch focus to the two Test matches, as we look to win those as well," he said.
The third One-day International is Tuesday at the Chowdhury Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah