RCA polls: SC to decide on Lalit Modi`s fate today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will declare the results of the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) elections on Tuesday in which the former Indian Premier League (IPL) czar Lalit Modi has also contested for its presidential post.
The declaration of the results have already got postponed four times in the past.
Earlier, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had said that Modi was a clear winner of the RCA election results, even before the official announcement from the apex court. The cricket board said that Modi had won 26 of 33 votes but requested the Supreme Court to not officially open the result.
However, the Supreme Court on January 27 adjourned the hearing and delayed the announcement of the polls. A bench of Justice Anil R Dave and Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, which was to open the envelope that contained the results and the report of Justice NM Kasliwal, under whose supervision the polls were held, said the court would open it on March 4.
But on March 4, SC postponed the announcement of the results for the fourth time as the BCCI asked for a postponement citing the unavailability of Aryma Sundaram, their lead counsel. The decision was then deferred till March 11.
The RCA chief Kishore Rungta and the BCCI had already filed a Special Leave Petition opposing Modi`s return as RCA president.
As cricket`s apex body, the BCCI urged the apex court to hear their petition before opening the envelope and declaring the result. But the court said it would first see the results and if Modi wins, then before declaring the results, it would hear the BCCI otherwise there would be no need.
As the BCCI counsel pressed for the board`s plea to be heard, the court wondered if Modi was so powerful that he would certainly get elected. The RCA election courted controversy after Modi joined the race for the post of the president of the state`s cricketing body.
The BCCI in September 2013 had imposed a life ban on Modi for alleged irregularities when he headed the IPL from 2008 to 2010. The RCA elections were held Dec 19, 2013, under the watch of the apex court-appointed former judge NM Kasliwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31