UK press questions captain Cook`s longevity following humiliating Ashes show
Sydney: England`s humiliation defeat in Ashes has raised questions about Captain Alastair Cook`s career in the UK press.
The UK press smells blood about Cook`s career, who may still be at the helm of the English cricket team, but after consecutive loses in Brisbane and Adelaide, questions are being asked about Cook`s longevity in the role.
According to news.com.au, Stephen Brenkley in The Independent said that once he could do little wrong, but Cook is now the struggling leader of an embattled team who are confronting a sporting disaster.
He added that Cook`s chances were that he would survive because he still has the loyalty of his team, but the intensity of an Ashes series invariably heightens emotions and the quest for culpability.
Cook, like opposing skipper Michael Clarke, will play his 100th Test at the WACA Ground from Friday.
His has been an incredible career - a robust Test average of 47.20 from a man still just 28 years old - but some observers have noticed he has aged beyond his tender years with the extra burden of captaincy.
Mike Selvey noted in The Guardian that there is weariness to him, and doubts are emerging about the state of his back.
Clarke is showing that a bad back need not be a hindrance to making runs but it does not make the business of dodging bullets, all the swaying and ducking, any easier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31