Richardson to mediate in West Indies cricket controversy
St.John`s (Antigua) : A three-man mediation team from the International Cricket Council (ICC) will take part in negotiations between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and players` union, WIPA, in an effort to settle the protracted dispute over a revised Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Dave Richardson, the ICC general manager-cricket will join acting Head of Legal, Iain Higgins, and the Federation of International Cricketers Association (FICA) chief executive, Tim May in a three-day meeting scheduled to start in Barbados slated for June 11.
South African Richardson is set to replace Haroon Lorgat as CEO of the ICC next month.
Negotiations between the WICB and WIPA over the last year have been contentious and proven futile in brokering an agreement but a joint statement from both entities late Friday said the latest meeting was "in a bid to chart a positive way forward for what has been a difficult issue to resolve."
"The joint mediation team has established guidelines for the process, one of which is strict confidentiality, and both the WICB and WIPA have agreed to adhere to those guidelines," the statement added.
CMC Sports understands that the WICB`s team will comprise CEO Ernest Hilaire and the Board`s legal officer Alanna Medford while WIPA`s delegation will comprise director Michael Hall, lead negotiator Dave Kissoon and ex-WIPA chief Dinanath Ramnarine
The Collective Bargaining Agreement and Memorandum of Understanding between the WICB and WIPA governs players` rights and was first signed six years ago between former WICB president Ken Gordon and Ramnarine.
Attempts to broker a new deal recently ended before the Trinidad and Tobago High Court earlier this year, with the judge ruling that the CBA would remain intact until a new agreement was brokered.
Article six of the CBA says present agreements must remain in full force until a revised CBA and MOU has been signed by both parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre