Richie Benaud injured in accident, more worried about car!
Sydney: Former Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud has injured himself in a car accident and will remain in hospital for two weeks to recover.
The 83-year-old cricketer-turned-commentator ended up with chest and shoulder injuries, besides a broken sternum, when his 1963 Sunbeam Alpine "mounted a nature strip and hit a small brick wall".
"No one else was injured, and I was more worried about the car than myself," Benaud said in a statement.
He is expected to be hospitalised for two weeks at the Prince of Wales hospital, local media reports stated.
Benaud`s wife Daphne said the former cricketer was recovering well.
"Richie`s remarkable," Mrs Benaud said.
"At first I was quite concerned but today he`s looking unbelievably well," she added.
Cricket Australia has wished Benaud a speedy recovery.
"We wish cricket legend Richie Benaud a speedy recovery after being involved in a car accident in Sydney," CA said in a tweet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH