Richie Benaud injured in accident, more worried about car!
Sydney: Former Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud has injured himself in a car accident and will remain in hospital for two weeks to recover.
The 83-year-old cricketer-turned-commentator ended up with chest and shoulder injuries, besides a broken sternum, when his 1963 Sunbeam Alpine "mounted a nature strip and hit a small brick wall".
"No one else was injured, and I was more worried about the car than myself," Benaud said in a statement.
He is expected to be hospitalised for two weeks at the Prince of Wales hospital, local media reports stated.
Benaud`s wife Daphne said the former cricketer was recovering well.
"Richie`s remarkable," Mrs Benaud said.
"At first I was quite concerned but today he`s looking unbelievably well," she added.
Cricket Australia has wished Benaud a speedy recovery.
"We wish cricket legend Richie Benaud a speedy recovery after being involved in a car accident in Sydney," CA said in a tweet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding