Ricky Ponting rates Brian Lara ahead of Sachin Tendulkar
London: Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has rated Brian Lara ahead of Sachin Tendulkar as he feels the West Indian batsman enabled his team win more matches.
"Sachin and Lara were the two stand-out batsmen for me. Lara won more games for his team than Sachin probably has. I`d lose more sleep as captain knowing Lara was coming in to bat next day than I would with Sachin," said Ponting.
"You always found a way to restrict Sachin if you needed to. Lara could turn it on in half an hour and take a game away from you. For me, it has never been about making hundreds, it is about winning games and series," Ponting was quoted as saying by the `Evening Standard`.
Australia may have suffered an agonising defeat in the first Test against England but Ponting believes that the Aussies will win the series 2-1.
"I said 2-1 to Australia at the start and nothing has changed for me, no," he insisted.
"We`ve got a lot of hard work to do but it seems like things are on the right track. It is a Test match lost but for the Aussies it will reinforce them to think just how close they are and may be there`s not that big a gulf between the teams.
"If they can take that away from the first Test it will do them good at Lord`s this week. We have some very good young players. They are just starting to find their way and Ashes series tend to bring out the best in some," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"