House of Commons congratulates Tendulkar
London: A Motion was laid in the House of Commons in the UK congratulating batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar on his "magnificent" career and for being an able ambassador of the game.
The Early Day Motion, moved by Indian-origin MP Keith Vaz, said Tendulkar served as an inspiration for millions around the world and recognised his "selfless dedication" to the sport.
"This motion is a fitting tribute to such an exceptional batsman. Tendulkar is adored almost as much in the UK as he is in India so it is only right that Parliament pays tribute to him," Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP said.
There was no debate on early day motion.
The Indian batting legend drew curtains on his 24-year-long illustrious career on Saturday after playing his landmark 200th Test against the West Indies in Mumbai.
On that day, Tendulkar was chosen for Bharat Ratna, India`s highest civilian award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional