Samuels out of Windies ODI squad
Wellington: An injured wrist has ruled batsman Marlon Samuels out of the West Indies one-day squad to face New Zealand, with Chadwick Walton called in as cover, team officials said Tuesday.
West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson said Samuels would return home to see if surgery was required on his right wrist, in a major blow for the tourists as they look to bounce back from a 2-0 Test series defeat.
"Marlon`s injury is unfortunate at such a tough time for the team, but it gives another player the opportunity to make a name for themselves in this series," he said.
Gibson said Walton, 28, who has played just two one-day internationals back in 2009, had been travelling with the team and would relish any chance he was offered.
"He has been working hard and growing as a player, and I feel confident that when his opportunity comes he will make the most of it," the coach said.
The first of five ODIs between New Zealand and the West Indies will take place at Auckland`s Eden Park on December 26.
West Indies squad: Dwayne Bravo (capt), Tino Best, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Narsingh Deonarine, Kirk Edwards, Jason Holder, Nikita Miller, Sunil Narine, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Darren Sammy, Lendl Simmons, Chadwick Walton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS