Shane Warne may play next BBL season but maybe not for Melbourne Stars
Melbourne: KFC T20 Big Bash League headline act Shane Warne is expected to undertake a second stint in the competition next season, but perhaps not for Melbourne Stars.
According to Fox Sports, the veteran leg-spinner has been one of the Big Bash`s best bowlers. He has also provided entertainment to thousands of fans with his live commentary on Fox Sports.
Warne, along with former Australia teammates Brad Hogg, Matthew Hayden and Stuart MacGill have taken fans on a trip down memory lane this season, and organisers are keen for them to return.
But all players are on one-year contracts with their current teams, including Warne at the Stars, ensuring a frenzy for their signatures in the lead-up to next summer.
Big Bash League boss Mike McKenna said 42-year-old Warne`s efforts in bowling, interacting with Fox Sports commentators and promoting the league had helped make the tournament a runaway success - with TV ratings through the roof and attendances already above all expectations.
"There has certainly been discussions with the Stars, but the Stars can`t contract (Warne) yet," McKenna said.
McKenna said he expected many players to sign on to longer-term deals with their teams for next summer and beyond in a bid to help create supporter loyalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III