Siddons unhappy with Muralitharan`s signing
Wellington: Australian Jamie Siddons, tipped to take over as Wellington coach, is not excited at the prospect of Sri Lakan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan joining Wellington Firebirds as their overseas player.
Muralitharan was signed Friday, a day after Siddons was interviewed for the vacant Firebirds coaching job.
Asked about Muralitharan`s signing, Siddons said: "That`s good ... well, I hope it`s good. I`ll have to think that one through. I probably have some thoughts but I don`t want to discuss them."
Siddons, who was in charge of Bangladesh during the World Cup, said that it would have been nice if the coach had some say in signing overseas players.
"It wouldn`t put me off the job but it would be nice to be in the job and have some say in those types of appointments, for sure."
Cricket Wellington chief executive Gavin Larsen said that signing of the world`s record wicket-taker before the coach was not an issue.
"I certainly hope not. I wouldn`t like to think that any new coach would balk at Murali`s name," Larsen was quoted as saying.
"He was very affordable and comparable to what the other key overseas players have received in New Zealand. We haven`t paid above the odds. He`s a really good bloke and he loves New Zealand. He`ll bring his family out and he`s really keen from a lifestyle point of view, and keen to contribute on and off the park," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?