Siddons unhappy with Muralitharan`s signing
Wellington: Australian Jamie Siddons, tipped to take over as Wellington coach, is not excited at the prospect of Sri Lakan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan joining Wellington Firebirds as their overseas player.
Muralitharan was signed Friday, a day after Siddons was interviewed for the vacant Firebirds coaching job.
Asked about Muralitharan`s signing, Siddons said: "That`s good ... well, I hope it`s good. I`ll have to think that one through. I probably have some thoughts but I don`t want to discuss them."
Siddons, who was in charge of Bangladesh during the World Cup, said that it would have been nice if the coach had some say in signing overseas players.
"It wouldn`t put me off the job but it would be nice to be in the job and have some say in those types of appointments, for sure."
Cricket Wellington chief executive Gavin Larsen said that signing of the world`s record wicket-taker before the coach was not an issue.
"I certainly hope not. I wouldn`t like to think that any new coach would balk at Murali`s name," Larsen was quoted as saying.
"He was very affordable and comparable to what the other key overseas players have received in New Zealand. We haven`t paid above the odds. He`s a really good bloke and he loves New Zealand. He`ll bring his family out and he`s really keen from a lifestyle point of view, and keen to contribute on and off the park," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE