Sourav Ganguly bats for Bharat Ratna to Anand
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly hailed the Indian government`s decision to bestow the Bharat Ratna on Sachin Tendulkar and added that five-time world champion Viswanthan Anand, too, should be in line to get the country`s highest civilian honour.
"I feel Viswanathan Anand is the next big player to get the award. The door is now open for him. The only thing that might go against him is that he stays most of the time in Spain," Ganguly said today.
"Bharat Ratna... It`s the official recognition for Sachin Tendulkar in his glowing career," Ganguly said of the batting legend, who became the youngest and only sportsperson to be conferred with the honour.
Ganguly futher said this would mark the beginning of sportspersons getting Bharat Ratna which has never happened.
"100 per cent... Everything has a beginning. It has definitely opened the gates for sportspersons who will now be inspired to get the Bharat Ratna," Ganguly told a Bengali news channel today.
Earlier, the country`s second GM afer Anand, Dibyendu Barua, too said the chess wizard deserved the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi