Sourav Ganguly`s father passes away
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly`s father Chandidas Ganguly today passed away after a prolonged illness.
He was 73 and is survived by wife Nirupa and two sons, first-class cricketer Snehasish and Sourav.
Ganguly senior was seriously ill with high blood sugar and was given insulins regularly while being treated at home.
"His condition deteriorated in the evening and was rushed to the MP Birla Heart Reserach centre. He passed away around 6.30 pm, while being on the way," CAB joint secretary Sujan Mukherjee said.
His body will be brought to CAB for final homage before the funeral.
Ganguly senior had played a significant role in shaping the career of both his sons Snehasish and Sourav.
As a kid Sourav would accompany his elder brother Snehashish to Eden Gardens as their father put them under the tutelage of current Saurashtra coach Debu Mitra.
"I don`t have words to express. It`s really a very sad moment for me. I really don`t know what to say," an upset Debu Mitra said after PTI broke the news to him.
Ganguly senior also sent Sourav to play minor county under the watchful eyes of Mitra in England during the late 1980s as his cricketing career got off after getting into the triumphant Ranji Trophy side in 1989-90 under Sambaran Banerjee.
He had served Cricket Association of Bengal in various capacities starting as assistant secretary in 1974-75.
He went on to become treasurer, secretary, vice president and member of trustee board but he stopped going to CAB after Ganguly was dropped from the Test side in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM