Sourav Ganguly to be conferred with D.Litt by BESU
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly would be conferred with an honorary Doctor of Letters (D.Litt) degree by the prestigious Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU), Shibpur, for his great contribution to Indian cricket.
"Sourav Ganguly has made great contribution to Indian cricket. His captaincy was brilliant. He has contributed to take Indian cricket to great heights in the arena of world cricket and for that we have decided to honour him with the D.Litt," BESU Vice-chancellor Ajoy Roy said here today.
"In cricket, also there is science, technology and art. He is a great artist. As a cricketer he fused science, technology and art in the sport. And his captaincy is a lesson for learning to the students in management science," Roy said.
He said West Bengal governor M K Narayanan, who is also the chancellor of the BESU, would grace the occasion on February 25 at its annual convocation when the honour would be bestowed on the iconic left handed batsman.
BESU was established as Bengal Engineering College in 1856 at Shibpur in Howrah district. In 1992 it became a deemed university and was upgraded to a full fledged university in 2004. The university has been approved by the central government for conversion to Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) late last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch