Hughes replaces Marsh on South Africa tour
Sydney: Injured batsman Shaun Marsh has been ruled out of Australia`s tour of South Africa, with Phil Hughes handed another chance to prove himself at Test level.
Marsh has been struggling with a calf strain and stayed back in Perth for intensive treatment.
"As Shaun Marsh`s calf injury has not improved as much as required over the past four days he has been withdrawn from the Test Squad for the tour of South Africa," National Selector John Inverarity said in a statement late Thursday.
"Phillip Hughes had been placed on standby and now comes into the Test squad as a replacement for Shaun. Phillip will head to South Africa as soon as possible."
Hughes has played 26 Tests since his debut in 2009, but has never been able to hold down a regular place in the side.
On Thursday, fast bowler Jackson Bird was declared fit and was due to fly out to join the rest of the squad in South Africa on Friday after being cleared of a back injury.
Australia play their only warm-up match in Potchefstroom from February 5 ahead of three Tests, with the first in Centurion on February 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video