Spot fixing: Sreesanth`s friend Abhishek Shukla gets bail
New Delhi: A Delhi court Thursday granted bail to Abhishek Shukla, friend of cricketer S. Sreesanth, arrested by Delhi Police for his role in the IPL spot fixing case.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma granted bail to Shukla after dismissing the judicial custody plea of police.
Police said Shukla had allegedly removed money and articles of Sreesanth from his hotel room in Mumbai after his arrest May 16.
Police had sought judicial custody of Shukla, saying interrogation and recoveries have been completed, and Shukla was no more required for interrogation.
The court said that prima facie, Shukla had committed an offence under Section 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), which is bailable.
The court said that there was no need to keep Shukla in custody, as there was no need to book him for cheating.
Delhi Police also claimed to have recovered Rs.5.5 lakh, at the instance of Shukla. Police claim the sum was part of the Rs.10 lakh allegedly paid in Mumbai to cricketer Sreesanth for spot-fixing in an IPL match.
Shukla has been charged under Section 201 and was taken to Mumbai for recovery of articles and money owned by Sreesanth, which he had hidden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!
- Protests over 'sacrilegious act' in Jammu, case registered