India vs Sri Lanka: 1st Test, Day 3 - Statistical highlights
Statistical highlights on the third day of the first cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka here today.
Galle: Statistical highlights on the third day of the first cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka here today.
- Sri Lanka's 367 is their third highest vs India in the second innings of a Test match -- the top two being 415 for seven wickets declared at Colombo, SSC in 1997 and 394 at Chennai in 1982.
- In case of an Indian win, it would be the first occasion a team chasing a target of 100-plus successfully in the fourth innings at Galle. Sri Lanka (99/3) had defeated Pakistan while chasing in the fourth innings in 2014.
- Dinesh Chandimal (59 & 162 not out) has recorded a century and a fifty in the same Test match for the first time.
- In nine Tests in Sri Lanka, Chandimal is averaging 56.15 -- his tally being 730 in 15 innings, including three hundreds and three fifties.
- Chandimal's unbeaten 162 is the joint-third highest by number six batsman against India -- the top
- innings being 217 not out by AB de Villiers for South Africa at Ahmedabad in 2008 and 178 by Graeme Hick for England at Mumbai in 1993. Andrew Symonds had scored an unbeaten 162 for Australia at Sydney in 2008.
- Chandimal took just 13 Tests to complete his 1000 runs -- the fastest by a wicketkeeper in Test history, bettering South Africa's AB de Villiers' 14 to this milestone.
- Chandimal enjoys an outstanding record as wicketkeeper -- his tally being 1052 runs at an average of 58.44, including four hundreds and five fifties.
- Chandimal's tally of four centuries as wicketkeeper is the second best for Sri Lanka next only to Sangakkara's seven. Prasanna Jayawardene had also scored four hundreds as wicketkeeper.
- Chandimal, during his outstanding unbeaten 162 off 169 ball, has produced strike rate of 95.85 -- the highest by a Sri Lankan batsman against a top nation (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh) in an innings of 150 or more, surpassing the 88.95 by Sanath Jayasuriya during his 199 off 226 balls vs India at Colombo, SSC in 1997.
- Chandimal and Thirimanne put on 125 -- Sri Lanka's second highest sixth-wicket stand vs India in Tests -- the highest being 351 between Mahela Jayawardene and Prasanna Jayawardene at Ahmedabad in November 2009.
- Jehan Mubarak (49) has posted a career-best score in Tests, surpassing the 48 vs South Africa at Centurion in November 2002.
- Chandimal and Mubarak were involved in a stand of 82 -- Sri Lanka's second highest for the seventh wicket vs India behind the 194 (unbroken) between Samaraweera and Hashan Tillakaratne at Colombo, SSC in 2001.
- Despite failing to post a fifty in either innings of the Galle Test, Kumar Sangakkara is averaging 61.08 in Tests in Sri Lanka (his aggregate being 6780 in 74 Tests) -- the highest amongst the batsmen with 6,000 runs or more in Tests in Sri Lanka.
- Ravichandran Ashwin (10/160) is the sixth Indian spinner to take 10 wickets or more in an overseas Test, joining Bhagwat Chandrasekhar (vs Australia), Anil Kumble (vs Australia), Erapalli Prasanna (vs New Zealand), Harbhajan Singh (vs Sri Lanka) and Bishan Singh Bedi (vs Australia).
- Harbhajan had figures of 10 for 153 at Galle in 2008.
- Ashwin, for the third time, has produced 10 wickets or more in a Test match -- the top two being 12 for 85 vs New Zealand at Hyderabad in 2012 and 12 for 198 vs Australia at Chennai in 2013.
- With eight catches, Ajinkya Rahane has set a world record for most catches in a Test match. Previously, five fielders had taken seven catches in a Test match -- Greg Chappell (Australia), Yajurvindra Singh (India), Hashan Tillakaratne (Sri Lanka), Stephen Fleming (New Zealand) and Matthew Hayden (Australia).
- The four Indian fielders with five catches in an innings are -- Yajurvindra Singh, Mohammad Azharuddin, Kris Srikkanth and Rahane.