Starc says Siddle as inspirational on field as ex-Oz captain Ponting
Sydney: Australian pace man Mitchell Starc has likened lion-hearted Peter Siddle`s presence and energy on the field to that of former Test captain Ricky Ponting.
Starc believes despite so many injury setbacks to fast bowlers this year, Australia`s bowling stocks are in good hands with Siddle leading the way.
The trimmed-down quick took a Test-turning nine wickets in a man-of-the-match display against the Lankans in Hobart after missing the series decider against South Africa due to exhaustion. “He`s amazing.
Not just for the bowlers, but for the whole team. Obviously in days gone by, Ricky Ponting is there and gets everyone up just by being there in the field and off the park as well,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Starc, as saying.
“Siddsy, he`s well on his way to being someone like that. He`s very inspirational how he goes about his business on and off the field,” he added.
“As a bowling unit, he probably gets us going. He`s the heart and soul of the attack, charging in every over for 60 overs in a Test match, bowling his heart out and having nothing left at the end of the day,” he further said.
Starc added: “It`s awesome playing with him and I guess he just drags the team along." For me, I`m still learning - I`m only 22 - but playing with Sidds I can take so much confidence being with him.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read