Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard dies at 23
London: Tom Maynard, a cricketer who was tipped for a successful international career with England, died early Monday after being hit by an underground train. He was 23.
Maynard’s county side, Surrey, didn’t disclose the cause of death but police said a 23-year-old man was pronounced dead by London Ambulance Service medics following an incident at an underground station in Wimbledon, south London, just after 5 a.m. local time (0400 GMT).
“The incident is currently being treated as non-suspicious,” British Transport Police said.
Maynard, who was the son of former England batsman Matthew Maynard, played for Surrey on Sunday in a Twenty20 match against Kent at Beckenham.
Surrey chairman Richard Thompson described Maynard as a “prodigiously talented young batsman who ... was clearly destined for far greater things.”
“There is a profound sense of loss at the passing of Tom,” Thompson said. “To lose anybody at such a young age is an utterly senseless tragedy.”
“Tom was a player of enormous potential who had already represented England Lions and had an exciting future ahead of him,” said Giles Clarke, chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board. “Our hearts go out to the Maynard family for their tragic loss and we send them and all Tom’s many friends and colleagues within the game our deepest sympathies.”
Current and former cricketers took to Twitter to send their condolences.
“Tragic news that a great lad, Tom Maynard is no longer with us. All my thoughts are with his family at this awful time x x” former England captain Andrew Flintoff tweeted.
Another former England captain, Michael Vaughan, added on Twitter - “Thoughts are with Matt Maynard and his family.. Words can’t describe the terribly sad news that Tom Maynard has died aged 23... (hash)RIPTOM.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Ranbir Kapoor's rumoured girlfriend Bharti Malhotra has finally SPOKEN the truth—Details inside!
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona edge out Sevilla in bad-tempered final
- No confirmation of Taliban chief’s death: Nawaz Sharif
- Launch of India's maiden space shuttle: 10 things you must know about ISRO's RLV-TD mission!
- Jama Masjid in Gujarat's Vadodara claims it has biggest Quran in the world - Pics inside