Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard dies at 23
London: Tom Maynard, a cricketer who was tipped for a successful international career with England, died early Monday after being hit by an underground train. He was 23.
Maynard’s county side, Surrey, didn’t disclose the cause of death but police said a 23-year-old man was pronounced dead by London Ambulance Service medics following an incident at an underground station in Wimbledon, south London, just after 5 a.m. local time (0400 GMT).
“The incident is currently being treated as non-suspicious,” British Transport Police said.
Maynard, who was the son of former England batsman Matthew Maynard, played for Surrey on Sunday in a Twenty20 match against Kent at Beckenham.
Surrey chairman Richard Thompson described Maynard as a “prodigiously talented young batsman who ... was clearly destined for far greater things.”
“There is a profound sense of loss at the passing of Tom,” Thompson said. “To lose anybody at such a young age is an utterly senseless tragedy.”
“Tom was a player of enormous potential who had already represented England Lions and had an exciting future ahead of him,” said Giles Clarke, chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board. “Our hearts go out to the Maynard family for their tragic loss and we send them and all Tom’s many friends and colleagues within the game our deepest sympathies.”
Current and former cricketers took to Twitter to send their condolences.
“Tragic news that a great lad, Tom Maynard is no longer with us. All my thoughts are with his family at this awful time x x” former England captain Andrew Flintoff tweeted.
Another former England captain, Michael Vaughan, added on Twitter - “Thoughts are with Matt Maynard and his family.. Words can’t describe the terribly sad news that Tom Maynard has died aged 23... (hash)RIPTOM.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant