Pak critics question Miandad`s appointment as batting consultant
Karachi: Pakistan captain The appointment of former Javed Miandad as a batting consultant- although a temporary one - by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to work alongside head coach Dav Whatmore has been criticized by various former board officials and cricketers.
Miandad, who left for Sri Lanka on Wednesday to help the Pakistan batsmen ahead of the World Twenty20 championship, confirmed that he was not part of the team management, but was only helping out with flaws in technique, reports The Express Tribune.
Former PCB chief Khalid Mehmood has questioned Whatmore`s role after Miandad`s appointment and termed the board`s initiative as a poor move ahead of the World Twenty20 championship.
"It depicts a state of confusion in the PCB. First they gave all-out responsibility to Whatmore by putting faith in his abilities. Now, they`re interfering in his job. If we have separate coaches for fielding, bowling and batting then why do we need Whatmore? We weren`t short on problems and the board has created a messy situation before a major event," Mehmood said.
Meanwhile, former Test cricketer and chief selector Salahuddin Ahmed echoed Mehmood`s concern, saying the board has showed lack of confidence in Whatmore by asking Miandad to work with the batsmen.
"If our batsmen improve, Miandad will be the one praised and there won`t be a mention of Whatmore. This has shown that Whatmore`s role has been reduced," said Ahmed.
Meanwhile, Whatmore has protested against Miandad`s appointment as a batting consultant, an official said, adding that PCB chief Zaka Ashraf was made aware of that in a meeting that took place in the UAE earlier this week.
Whatmore said the board had reduced his authority by appointing Miandad without his consent. However, he said the coach has been assured that there will be no interference in his strategies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof