T20 World Cup gift for fans worldwide: Windies Cricket chief
Colombo: West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Julian Hunte says the West Indies` sensational performance to win the Twenty20 World Cup was a great gift to supporters all over the world.
The West Indies recovered from a slow start to beat hosts Sri Lanka by 36 runs at the R. Premadasa Stadium here Sunday night and win the title for the first time.
"I want to say `thank you` to the team for what you did for the people and for West Indies cricket. Sunday, October 7, 2012, will go down in history as one of the great days in West Indies cricket," Hunte said.
"It was a job well done and the entire Caribbean along with West Indies cricket lovers are extremely proud of this team. It was a joy to see such a clinical performance on the field of play."
"This was an outstanding display of tenacity, fight, courage, will-power and belief. To come to Sri Lanka and beat them on their home turf in the grand final, when all was on the line, is truly remarkable," Hunte said.
The ICC World T20 Trophy victory is the fourth major international title for the West Indies.
Clive Lloyd`s all-conquering team won the inaugural Cricket World Cup in 1975 and repeated in 1979, and Brian Lara`s team won the Champions Trophy in England in 2004.
"West Indies cricket has a rich history and we are proud of what those who have played before have done for us and what they achieved," the WICB president said.
"Now, in this era, we have a new group of champions who have given their all and made us proud. Today, we salute our champions."
The West Indies is the only team to win the 50-over World Cup, the Champions Trophy and the World Twenty20.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended