ICC World Twenty20: Sri Lanka cops probe fake merchandise
Colombo: Police in Sri Lanka are looking out for the manufacturers of counterfeit merchandise after a factory raid revealed large quantities of fake team shirts of the ongoing International Cricket Council`s (ICC) World Twenty20 in the country.
Police media spokesperson SP Ajith Rohana said Monday that the special crime unit, Colombo Crime Division (CCD), is continuing investigation following a series of raids on retailers in the markets in Colombo. It closed down a factory in Boralesgamuwa, a small town 15 km away from the capital, which was in the process of producing large quantities of fake team shirts.
"The factory owner is to be charged under intellectual property act," said Rohana.
The raids followed a complaint to the Sri Lankan police by ICC relating to the protection of trademarks and logos associated with the World Twenty20.
Iain Higgins, ICC`s legal head, said: "Counterfeit goods are a menace to all global events and ICC is determined to protect not only the valuable commercial rights of its partners but also the interests of the general public who may find themselves unwittingly purchasing inferior counterfeit products believing them to be official event merchandise."
"Similar raids were carried out with great success during the World Cup last year and we will continue throughout the course of the World Twenty20 to pursue criminal action against those manufacturers and traders who are responsible for any other infringements that come to our attention," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents