WT20: Hafeez defends ‘irresponsible’ Afridi
Colombo: Pakistan Twenty20 captain Mohammad Hafeez has defended all rounder Shahid Afridi following his dull performance during their World Cup semifinal defeat against Sri Lanka on Thursday.
Afridi played a poor shot to be bowled out on the first delivery he faced against Rangana Herath with Pakistan struggling during their chase of 140 runs for a place in Sunday`s final
Hafeez said Afridi is out of form but he gave everything for the team throughout the World Cup.
“He is a match winner, there is no doubt about his abilities. But I think... he is really in a bad form at the moment,” Hafeez was quoted as saying by a website.
“He`s really worked hard in the whole tournament, but unfortunately things didn`t work for him. I can understand as a captain, as a player, when things don`t work for you,” he added.
“But he is a character, he is always a hard-worker and I think he is trying to come out of it (which) is a positive sign for us as a team. So that`s the reason we have given him all the chances,” he said.
The popular cricketer scored just 30 runs in five innings and took only four wickets with his leg-spin bowling in six matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof