WT20: Hafeez defends ‘irresponsible’ Afridi
Colombo: Pakistan Twenty20 captain Mohammad Hafeez has defended all rounder Shahid Afridi following his dull performance during their World Cup semifinal defeat against Sri Lanka on Thursday.
Afridi played a poor shot to be bowled out on the first delivery he faced against Rangana Herath with Pakistan struggling during their chase of 140 runs for a place in Sunday`s final
Hafeez said Afridi is out of form but he gave everything for the team throughout the World Cup.
“He is a match winner, there is no doubt about his abilities. But I think... he is really in a bad form at the moment,” Hafeez was quoted as saying by a website.
“He`s really worked hard in the whole tournament, but unfortunately things didn`t work for him. I can understand as a captain, as a player, when things don`t work for you,” he added.
“But he is a character, he is always a hard-worker and I think he is trying to come out of it (which) is a positive sign for us as a team. So that`s the reason we have given him all the chances,” he said.
The popular cricketer scored just 30 runs in five innings and took only four wickets with his leg-spin bowling in six matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM