Tendulkar is a champion off field too: Mother-in-law
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar`s humane qualities set him apart from the rest, says his mother-in-law who feels lucky that her daughter got married to the iconic Indian cricketer.
"Sachin is a champion on and off the field. He is a great human being. He not only thinks about himself but wants to help others also," Tendulkar`s mother-in-law Annabel Mehta said.
Tendulkar married Anjali in 1995. He sponsors 200 underprivileged children every year through a Mumbai-based NGO which his mother-in-law promotes. Mehta said despite his busy schedule, Tendulkar is always there to help the NGO whenever it is needed.
"He wanted to do something for kids in the memory of his late father who was a teacher. His association with Apanalaya started then and he is a pillar of support for us till date," she said.
"He is supporting the cause financially and through the auction of his cricket memorabilia. Whenever we need him, he is there to help us," she added.
Mehta considers herself lucky to have Tendulkar as son-in-law not only for his cricketing achievements but also for being the person that he is.
"I am very lucky that Anjali got married to him. He has achieved many milestones in cricket but I have seen the hard work and dedication behind it," said Mehta.
When asked about if she has had a word with Tendulkar after his 100th century, she said that the family is waiting for his return from Bangladesh.
"I have not spoken to him. Usually, I don`t speak to him when he is playing. We will celebrate once he comes back. All my love and blessings are for him," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'