UAE defeat PNG in ICC World Cup qualifier
Christchurch: Skipper Khurram Khan led from the front with a century as the United Arab Emirates (UAE) recorded a comprehensive 150-run victory over Papua New Guinea (PNG) on the first day of the Super Six stage of the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier New Zealand 2014 (CWCQ) at Hagley Oval here Sunday.
A captain’s knock from Khan (138) sealed victory for the UAE and the top spot in the Super Six table ahead of PNG on net run-rate, with four points each.
After being sent in to bat, the UAE lost both openers within four overs before the skipper scored at almost a run a ball in his knock of 138 to help his side post a competitive total of 280.
Khan found the boundary 17 times and struck two sixes in his 145-ball innings, and is now the leading run-scorer of the tournament (413). Vikrant Shetty (35) and Swapnil Patil (29) also contributed with the bat.
Pace bowler Willie Gavera (three for 39) claimed the skipper’s wicket in the 44th over before snaffling the last two wickets in the penultimate over.
PNG never recovered from a shaky start, reeling at five for 45 from 11.1 overs.
Charles Amini top-scored for his side with 49, but a four-wicket haul for Amjad Javed (four for 26) saw PNG dismissed well short of the target -- 130 all out in 28.3 overs.
UAE skipper and Man of the match Khan was thrilled that his team secured victory in such an important match.
"That was a very important two points because PNG came into the Super Six stage with four points and most of the other teams came with two points. This stage of the competition you just have to beat every team, and we really respect PNG, they are an awesome team and have been doing very well but our guys did a wonderful job."
In other Super Six matches played Sunday, Kenya`s Lameck Onyango starred with a four-wicket haul to lead his side to victory over Hong Kong, while rain stopped play in the Scotland-Namibia fixture before a result could be achieved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre