Virat Kohli appointed captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore
Bangalore: IPL franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore today appointed Virat Kohli as their captain for the upcoming sixth edition of Indian Premier League.
Kohli succeeds former New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori, who was at the helm during last season.
Kohli’s appointment follows a productive IPL VI auction in which RCB strengthened their bowling line-up significantly and added capable all-rounders to increase the amount of flexibility in the selection of the playing squad.
"We are delighted to announce Virat as our captain. His hunger to learn, lead, motivate and set an example is unquestionable," team owner Vijay Mallya was quoted as saying in a press release.
Virat is the 11th highest run-scorer in overall IPL history with 1639 runs and a strike rate of 119.28.
He has scored eight half centiries and is also the 3rd highest run scorer in Champions League T20 history.
"Glad to be appointed captain of RCB. I thank the owners for reposing their faith and I am looking forward to the challenge and the responsibility to carry the team to greater heights," Kohli stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"