Wasim Akram hails Mcdermott for Australian pacers` rise
Melbourne: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has credited Australia`s bowling coach Craig Mcdermott for the impressive performances by the young crop of Aussie pacers in the recent times.
"If Craig is telling them something, he can make a point. If there is a guy who only played first-class cricket and a couple of games here or there - he can`t tell them. He can have his theories but people like Craig have been there and done it at the top level consistently," Akram said.
"He was one of the greats. Cricket is a very simple sport. Craig knows what he is saying," he was quoted as saying in `The Age`.
That the former Australian fast bowler has been doing a great job with the pace battery since taking over in May as the bowling coach, was evident in the first Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground as the pacers picked up 19 of the 20 Indian wickets that fell during the four days.
The 46-year-old McDermott`s mantra for the Australian pacers has been short and simple -- consistently pitch five metres from the stumps.
McDermott, who has 291 wickets from 71 Tests, wants his fast bowlers to give the ball a chance to swing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city