Watson wants to open in Test team
Sydney: Australia vice-captain Shane Watson’s preference to retain his opening spot in the Test team has put pressure on incumbent opener Ed Cowan, whose form will come under more scrutiny.
Watson made it known in an interview on Monday that his first choice was to return from injury as an opening batsman, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The all rounder’s decision to give his body a break from bowling is a huge risk because he must validate his position as a specialist batsman, and he knows that his best chance is against the new ball, where he has had the most success in Tests, the paper said.
Watson had said in the interview that he would love to open for Australia in Test cricket and all forms of game. Watson said he has been comfortable batting down the order in Test, but added that his preference would always be to open the batting and face the new ball.
Watson`s promotion of himself as an opener has raised eyebrows because it increases the scrutiny of Cowan who began the summer with a century against South Africa and is valued within the team, however, two half-centuries in his following nine innings did not cement his spot, the paper reported.
But Watson needs to show his fitness and his century-making ability in two Sheffield Shield games for NSW to break back into the team for India. Watson averages 44 as an opener but his past two years at Test level have been much less prolific.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check