West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test
Port of Spain (Trinidad): Windward Islands off-spinner Shane Shillingford has been called up for the second Test against Australia, starting here Sunday, on the heels of a disappointing performance by leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo in the Kensington Oval opener which West Indies lost by three wickets.
The 29-year-old Shillingford took 38 wickets in five regional first class matches this season and could force his way into the final XI at Queen`s Park Oval.
Shillingford is the only change to the squad from the opening Test as selectors have placed a vote of confidence in the side which turned in a strong performance for most of that game, only to falter on the last two days.
Shillingford has not played a Test in nearly two years, despite being picked for the tour of Bangladesh last year. He underwent remedial work on his action last year after his action was deemed illegal by the International Cricket Council (ICC) and was outstanding in recent matches for the Windwards.
In his last outing, he finished with a match haul of 14 for 110. Bishoo, meanwhile, struggled in the Kensington Oval Test over the last five days, sending down 53 overs for 169 runs and taking just one wicket.
He was largely ineffective even when bowling into rough and caused the Aussie batsmen few problems.
Squad: Darren Sammy (captain), Kirk Edwards (vice-captain), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh, Devendra Bishoo, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Kieran Powell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Shane Shillingford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!