Windies Cricket chief eyes success against Australia
St. John`s (Antigua): West Indies Cricket Board chief Julian Hunte has hailed the recent showing of the regional side, following exciting ties in recent one-day and Twenty20 series against Australia, and said these augured well for the upcoming Test series.
"On behalf of the WICB and the cricket lovers of the Caribbean, I want to applaud the team on their good performances against the Australians," Hunte said.
"It was pleasing to see how the team responded to the challenge with an amazing show of togetherness and commitment to the cause.
"Before the first match in St. Vincent, Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves urged the Windies to give their all for the cause and we saw just that and more from a re-energised, rejuvenated team. Our boys answered the call and responded with some outstanding performances."
West Indies bounced back from losing the first match of the ODI series to rally and pull off a thrilling 2-2 tie in the five-match series.
They also lost the first encounter of the two-match T20 series but won the last game Friday to also grab a share of the spoils.
Hunte was quick to praise the efforts of the players, singling out ODI Man-of-the-Series Kieron Pollard, exciting off-spinner Sunil Narine and captain Darren Sammy, while acknowledging the crucial fan support.
"There were other individual moments of brilliance which helped to spark the team to life and keep the team alive," Hunte pointed out.
"The fans in turn saw what was happening and responded by turning out in record numbers to `rally round the West Indies` and support their beloved team.
"These are signs that the team and West Indies cricket are on the front burner again and we urge the players to show the same level of heart and spirit as we seek to recapture the Frank Worrell Trophy in the Test matches."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof