Afghan footballer Zohib Islam Amiri joins Dempo Sports Club
Panaji: Top Afghanistan footballer Zohib Islam Amiri has joined Dempo Sports Club till the end of the 2013-14 season.
Amiri, who is captain of Afghanistan`s national team, comes to the Goan outfit from Mumbai FC.
"I am delighted to sign for Dempo. I look forward to repaying the faith showed in me by the coach. My focus will be to play well and have a successful season with Dempo," stated the 26-year-old defender yesterday.
Amiri hit headlines when he led Afghanistan to a 2-0 win over India in the SAFF Cup 2013. He was also voted the FPAI Fans `Player of the Year for the 2012-13 season in India.
However, the Afghan footballer said he will not be playing the upcoming Federation Cup.
Besides Amiri, Dempo has got another new recruit, Australian striker Tolgay Ozbey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends