Aragones rejects offer to coach Sevilla
Madrid: Former Spain coach Luis Aragones has rejected an offer to return to Sevilla to take over as coach from the sacked Manolo Jimenez, a spokesman for the La Liga club said on Thursday.
"The latest offer we made was rejected and it`s difficult to see an agreement being reached," spokesman Jesus Gomez said, adding that Antonio Alvarez, a member of the club`s technical staff, would oversee first team training on Friday.
Aragones, 71, led Spain to victory at Euro 2008 and had a spell as Sevilla coach in the mid-1990s.
He began his management career at Atletico Madrid in 1974 and has also coached Barcelona, Espanyol, Real Betis, Valencia, Real Oviedo and Real Mallorca.
As newspaper and other local media reported he was pushing for a contract until the end of next season but Sevilla were unwilling to guarantee he would stay on after the end of this campaign.
The Andalusian club sacked Jimenez after his side were held to a 1-1 draw at home by basement side Xerez on Tuesday.
They suffered a surprise Champions League exit to CSKA Moscow last week and Tuesday`s draw meant they had failed to win in seven matches in all competitions.
The club are fifth in La Liga on 45 points, two behind Real Mallorca who occupy Spain`s fourth Champions League qualification spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch