Arrows, United SC in Shield semis
Kolkata: Pailan Arrows and United SC made semifinals of the 116th IFA Shield with contrasting victories against their respective opponents on Sunday.
The Arrows thrashed Ar-Hima 5-0 to finish atop group C with a better goal difference against Pune FC and set up a last four clash against 27-time winners East Bengal. George Alwyn (28th, 38th) struck a double while Tirthankar Sarkar (18th), Milan Singh (60) and Ajay Singh (85) netted one each for their five-star win at the East Bengal ground.
In another fixture, United SC rode on a solitary goal by a Bello Rasaq`s 71st minute long ranger to down Aryan Club at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan.
United SC finished with six points to top group D. They will take on the toppers from group B where it`s a two-way race between Brazilian outfit Botafogo and Southern Samity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official
- Mamata Banerjee sworn-in as West Bengal CM: As it happened
- Haryana DGP says common man has right to take criminal's life. Read his shocking views here
- Taliban leader Mullah Mansour was living under ISI protection