Barcelona critics have short memories: Alves
Barcelona: Dani Alves has hit back at critics who suggest Barcelona are a fading force following a patchy run of form over the past two months.
Although Tito Vilanova`s side produced a majestic performance to beat AC Milan 4-0 in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie, they were criticised for a lacklustre display in the 2-0 defeat at San Siro and were also held 2-2 by struggling Liga opposition Celta Vigo in La Liga on Saturday.
But Alves told Goal.com: "People said a lot of things about us after the first leg against Milan and we obviously heard the good and the bad comments.
"Of course football is a results business but people’s memories are not very sharp. Everything Barcelona have done so far all of a sudden gets sidelined by a couple of bad results.
"The only way we can address that is to keep winning games and trophies. Barca have gone through changes, but the field is really even these days with opponents who are always trying harder and harder.
"Having said that, we are in a very good position in the league and are playing in a Champions League quarter-final, which is not bad at all."
Despite only taking a point at Celta Vigo, Barcelona remain runaway leaders in their domestic title race and are favourites to overcome big-spending Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League ahead of the first leg in France on Tuesday.
Alves added: "I am not a fortune teller, so there is no point in speculating on the result. Opponents in the Champions League are always tough and PSG have invested a lot to build a team. They have reached the quarter-finals so we cannot take anything for granted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?