Bayern and Chelsea were better than Real Madrid and Barcelona: Platini
Munich: UEFA president Michel Platini insists that Bayern Munich and Chelsea are worthy Champions League finalists, claiming that they were both full value for their respective semi-final wins over Liga giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Many pundits predicted a Clasico for the Allianz Arena but Bayern edged out Madrid on penalties, the night after defending champions Barcelona had been sensationally dumped out of competition after being held at home by 10-man Chelsea.
Some have suggested that it is a shame that the Blancos and the Blaugrana did not make the tournament decider, given they are widely regarded as the two strongest sides in the world, but Platini has pointed out that they failed to prove themselves on the pitch.
“They could be [the best teams in the world] but the final is there - it`s Bayern Munich against Chelsea," the former France international told CNN.
“I didn`t see Barcelona be better than Chelsea and I didn`t see Real Madrid be better than Bayern in these games.
“But then, everything was surprising [this season]: the non-qualification of some of the English teams to the second round; the fact that Chelsea and Bayern were not favourites for the semi-finals and they beat Barcelona and Real Madrid.
“It has been incredible year for the legend of the cup."
Reflecting on finals gone by, Platini admitted that, as far as he is concerned, two encounters stick out above all others.
"Istanbul was an incredible game for Liverpool against Milan and last year`s final between Barcelona and Manchester United was a great, great game with a great atmosphere at the stadium [Wembley]," he enthused.
This year`s edition kicks off at 20.45CET at the Allianz Arena.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'