Bayern book German Cup semi spot
Berlin: Bayern Munich eased into the German Cup semi-finals with a confidence-boosting 2-0 win at VfB Stuttgart, keeping their treble bid alive after an erratic start to the year in the Bundesliga.
The Bavarians, who have only won one of their last three league games to drop off the top spot, took a deserved lead with winger Franck Ribery cutting into the box to connect with a Thomas Mueller pass. Toni Kroos had earlier rattled the bar with a 20-metre drive.
Former Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez pounced seconds after the restart to fire in on the rebound as Bayern looked sharper than in recent weeks despite an injury to Bastian Schweinsteiger early in the first half and with Dutchman Arjen Robben on the bench.
Second division Greuther Fuerth booked their first ever semi-final spot, stunning 10-man Hoffenheim 1-0 and leaving coach Holger Stanislawski`s future in doubt thanks to a 44th-minute goal by Canada international Olivier Occean.
Borussia Moenchengladbach needed extra time to oust Hertha Berlin 2-0 thanks to a Filip Daems penalty and a 120th-minute goal by Oscar Wendt.
Hertha, who had Roman Hubnik sent off for head-butting Igor de Camargo that led to the spot kick, have now lost all four matches - including three league games - since coach Michael Skibbe took over.
Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund beat fourth-division Kiel 4-0 on Tuesday to advance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!