Bayern under tremendous pressure: Freund
Munich: The 1997 Champions League winner is eagerly anticipating Saturday`s final and thinks the Bundesliga champions face a tough task given their recent record against Borussia Dortmund.
Former Borussia Dortmund midfielder Steffen Freund believes Bayern Munich are under tremendous pressure ahead of Saturday`s Champions League final following their defeat against Chelsea in last year`s showpiece.
Bayern head into the clash at Wembley as the favourites after impressive victories against Juventus and Barcelona earlier in the competition, but Freund has warned that BVB will be up for the fight in a potentially hot-blooded encounter.
"I have a feeling it`s going to be pretty physical and hot-blooded," the Tottenham assistant coach told the official Bundesliga website.
"Bayern may be the favourites, but for the most part Borussia have looked pretty good against them recently. And that will be in the back of both teams` minds.
"The pressure on Bayern is tremendous. Dortmund obviously don`t want to walk off the pitch as losers, so they`re under a certain amount as well, but taking the overall situation in the run-up, it`s Bayern who are carrying the heavier burden of expectation.
"This is Bayern`s third final in four years. Last year they were very, very unlucky to lose at home to Chelsea after being much the better side. In 2010, they were well beaten by Inter. This season, though, Bayern have impressed at every level and taking form into account they`re absolutely the favourites."
Freund was part of the Dortmund squad that won the Champions League in 1996-97, when they beat Juventus 3-1 at the Olympiastadion in Munich.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- BMWs for Rio Champions: Shobhaa De launches SCATHING attack – See her Tweet
- Horribly Sad! Single lightning strike kills 323 reindeers in Norway
- Retiring Tillakaratne Dilshan speaks on lack of support from teammates during his captaincy stint
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu