Benitez slams Chelsea players’ attitude during Club World Cup final loss to Corinthians
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has slammed his player`s attitude during their defeat in the final of the Club World Cup final to Corinthians, saying only the South American champions had the desire to win the trophy.
Benitez insisted his side only had themselves to blame as they crashed to a 1-0 defeat in the final in Yokohama, adding global ignominy to this season`s European embarrassment.
Corinthians made a mockery of their underdogs tag as Chelsea became the first Champions League holders to fail to win the Club World Cup for six years.
“This is the final of the World Cup for the South American teams. You could see this from the first minute,” the Telegraph quoted Benitez, as saying. “Our players have some quality but, physically, some of them aren`t so strong,” he added.
Some of Corinthians`` players also tried every trick in the book to get the referee on side, forward Emerson repeatedly rolling around the floor under contact.
Benitez added: “You could see they have experience and, every second, they were around the referee and doing well – and wasting [time] round near the end. I don`t say that as a negative. They were ``managing`` the game quite well.”
Today`s defeat was Benitez`s second in three Club World Cup finals but, unlike Liverpool`s controversial loss in 2005, he had few complaints about the result and even fewer excuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok