Benitez slams Chelsea players’ attitude during Club World Cup final loss to Corinthians
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has slammed his player`s attitude during their defeat in the final of the Club World Cup final to Corinthians, saying only the South American champions had the desire to win the trophy.
Benitez insisted his side only had themselves to blame as they crashed to a 1-0 defeat in the final in Yokohama, adding global ignominy to this season`s European embarrassment.
Corinthians made a mockery of their underdogs tag as Chelsea became the first Champions League holders to fail to win the Club World Cup for six years.
“This is the final of the World Cup for the South American teams. You could see this from the first minute,” the Telegraph quoted Benitez, as saying. “Our players have some quality but, physically, some of them aren`t so strong,” he added.
Some of Corinthians`` players also tried every trick in the book to get the referee on side, forward Emerson repeatedly rolling around the floor under contact.
Benitez added: “You could see they have experience and, every second, they were around the referee and doing well – and wasting [time] round near the end. I don`t say that as a negative. They were ``managing`` the game quite well.”
Today`s defeat was Benitez`s second in three Club World Cup finals but, unlike Liverpool`s controversial loss in 2005, he had few complaints about the result and even fewer excuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers