Benitez slams Chelsea players’ attitude during Club World Cup final loss to Corinthians
London: Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez has slammed his player`s attitude during their defeat in the final of the Club World Cup final to Corinthians, saying only the South American champions had the desire to win the trophy.
Benitez insisted his side only had themselves to blame as they crashed to a 1-0 defeat in the final in Yokohama, adding global ignominy to this season`s European embarrassment.
Corinthians made a mockery of their underdogs tag as Chelsea became the first Champions League holders to fail to win the Club World Cup for six years.
“This is the final of the World Cup for the South American teams. You could see this from the first minute,” the Telegraph quoted Benitez, as saying. “Our players have some quality but, physically, some of them aren`t so strong,” he added.
Some of Corinthians`` players also tried every trick in the book to get the referee on side, forward Emerson repeatedly rolling around the floor under contact.
Benitez added: “You could see they have experience and, every second, they were around the referee and doing well – and wasting [time] round near the end. I don`t say that as a negative. They were ``managing`` the game quite well.”
Today`s defeat was Benitez`s second in three Club World Cup finals but, unlike Liverpool`s controversial loss in 2005, he had few complaints about the result and even fewer excuses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed